Pakize completed an MA degree in TESL at Northern Arizona University, USA in 2011. Before moving to Montreal for her PhD, she taught a variety of ESL classes, including academic writing, at Qatar University for five years. Pakize’s primary research agenda explores issues at the intersection of second language writing and assessment. She has recently worked on projects focusing on how planning time impacts students' performance on high-stakes proficiency tests and the relationship between source text use and writing proficiency scores. Aside from research and teaching, Pakize enjoys reading for pleasure, hiking, and travelling.
- Developing and validating a rubric for assessing classroom-based integrated writing tasks
- The impact of source-text readability on L2 writers' integrated writing performance
- Comparison of L2 writers' independent and integrated writing task performance: A focus on linguistic and rhetorical features
- Exploring L2 speakers’ oral summaries of academic texts in a paired speaking task
- Linguistic features and nonverbal cues of disagreement in ELF academic discussion tasks
- Assessment of paired oral interactions: The combined and individual impact of rating focus and rating stimuli
- McDonough, K., Uludag, P., & Neumann, H. (2021). Instructor evaluation of business student writing: Does language play a role? Business and Professional Communications Quarterly, 84, 116-134. https://doi.org/10.1177/23294906211012398
- Uludag, P., McDonough, K., & Payant, C. (in press). Does prewriting planning positively impact English L2 students’ integrated writing performance? Canadian Journal of Applied Linguistics.
- Uludag, P., Crawford, W. J., & McDonough, K. (2021). English for Academic Purposes Writers’ use of reporting verbs in argumentative and cause-and-effect essay exams. BC TEAL Journal, 6, 42–58. https://doi.org/10.14288/bctj.v6i1.388
- McDonough, K., & Uludag, P. (in press). Individual and shared assessment of ESL students’ paired oral test performance: Examining rater judgments and lexico-grammatical features. In W. Crawford (Ed.), Multiple perspectives on learner interaction: The corpus of collaborative oral tasks. Mouton De Gruyter.
- McDonough, K., Uludag, P., & Neumann, H. (2020). Morphological development in EAP student writing. TESOL Quarterly. https://doi.org/10.1002/tesq.608
- Uludag, P., Lindberg, R., Payant, C., & McDonough, K. (2019). Exploring L2 writers’ source-text use in an integrated writing assessment. Journal of Second Language Writing, 46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jslw.2019.100670
- Uludag, P., Crawford, W. J., & McDonough, K. (2019). Linguistic markers of collaborative and noncollaborative peer interactions. OASIS Summary of Crawford, W. J., McDonough, K., & Brun‐Mercer, N. (2018) in TESOL Quarterly. https://oasis-database.org/concern/summaries/2j62s4901?locale=en
- Payant, C., McDonough, K., Uludag, P., & Lindberg, R. (2019). Predicting integrated writing task performance: Source comprehension, prewriting planning, and individual differences. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 40, 87- 97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeap.2019.06.001
- Uludag, P. (2019). Using technology in language teaching: A boon and a bane. EFLIS Global Neighbors Newsletter. http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/tesoleflis/issues/2019-11-08/3.html
- Uludag, P. (2018, November). Examining the organizational structure of language teacher associations: A report on strategic direction and functionality. In A. Elsheikh, C. Coombe, & O. Effiong (Eds.), International Perspectives on Language Teacher Associations (pp. 13-24). Springer.
- Uludag, P. (2021, June). Validation of a rubric for assessing the construct of integration in L2 integrated writing. Paper to be presented at the Language Testing Research Colloquium (LTRC). (virtual)
- Uludag, P. (2021, March). Exploring EAP instructors’ perceptions of integrated writing performance: Defining source integration and developing a rubric. Paper presented at presented at American Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL) Conference. (virtual)
- Uludag, P., McDonough, K. & Trofimovich, P. (2020, October). Individual and shared assessment of paired oral interactions: A focus on verbal and non-verbal features. Paper presented at Second Language Research Forum (SLRF). (virtual)
- McDonough, K. & Uludag, P. (2020, June). Individual and shared assessment of ESL students’ paired oral test performance: Examining rater judgments and lexico-grammatical features. Language Testing Research Colloquium (LTRC). Hammamet, Tunisia (Conference cancelled).
- Uludag, P. & McDonough, K. (2020, March). The effect of source-text readability on English L2 students’ integrated writing performance. Second Language Writing Symposium (SLWS). Istanbul, Turkey (Conference cancelled).
- Uludag, P., Lindberg, R., Payant, C., & McDonough, K. (2019, June). Investigating L2 writers’ source-use behavior in an integrated writing test. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Canadian Association for Applied Linguistics (ACLA). Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Tsunemoto, A., Uludag, P., McDonough, K., & Isaacs, T. (2019, June). Exploring the relationship between L2 English speakers' fluency and accentedness ratings and linguistic measures of phonological accuracy and fluency. Paper presented at International Symposium on Bilingualism 12 (ISB12). Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Uludag, P., Neumann, H., & McDonough, K. (2019, March). Source use behavior and raters’ judgement in L2 academic writing. Paper presented at Language Testing Research Colloquium (LTRC). Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Tsunemoto, A. & Uludag, P. (2019, March). What makes L2 speech fluent? Predicting advanced L2 speakers’ judgements of L2 speech. Paper presented at Graduate Symposium in the Department of Education (GSDE). Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Payant, C., McDonough, K., & Uludag, P. (2018, October). English L2 writers’ perceptions about prewriting planning. Paper presented at Second Language Research Forum (SLRF). Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- McDonough, K., Payant, C., & Uludag, P. (2018, June). The effect of planning on English L2 speakers’ integrated writing CAEL test performance. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Canadian Association for Applied Linguistics (ACLA). Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
GRANTS, awards and scholarships
External Research Grants
Awards and Scholarships
- Uludag, P. (2019-2021). Corpus-based examinations of L2 integrated writing. Mitacs Globalink Research Award.
- Uludag, P. (2019-2021). Writing from sources: Predicting L2 writers’ task performance from text readability. British Council Assessment Research Award.
- Uludag, P. (2020). Developing, validating, and implementing a rubric for assessing the construct of integration in L2 integrated writing. TIRF Doctoral Dissertation Grants, Honorable Mention.
Awards and Scholarships
- Concordia University Graduate Fellowship Award
- Concordia University International Tuition Award of Excellence (PhD)
- Dean of Arts and Science Award of Excellence
- Graduate Mentorship Award, Concordia University