Before turning to Education, Nina received her Bachelor’s in Business Management with Communications from the University of Birmingham, UK. After working as a magazine editor and translating several non-fiction books, Nina hoped to deepen her knowledge in linguistics and decided to pursue an MA in Applied Linguistics at Concordia University. Currently, Nina is a new PhD student, working under the supervision of Professor Pavel Trofimovich. Her research interests focus on heritage language maintenance, language and identity, and linguistic biases. In her free time, Nina is usually found on her sofa petting her two Ragdoll cats with a selection of books, teas, and candles.
- Heritage language maintenance in the Vietnamese community of Montreal
- Awareness of accent bias in HR students, faculty, and professionals
- Le, T.-N. N., & Trofimovich, P. (2023). Exploring sociopolitical dimensions of heritage language maintenance: The case of Vietnamese speakers in Montréal. Canadian Modern Language Review. Published online 15 September 2023. https://doi.org/10.3138/cmlr-2022-0078 [article pdf]
- Trofimovich, P., Lindberg, R., Bodea, A., Le, T.-N. N., Zheng, C., & McDonough, K. (2023). I don’t think you like me: Examining metaperceptions of interpersonal liking in second language academic interaction. Languages, 8, Article 200. https://doi.org/10.3390/languages8030200 [article pdf]
- Bodea, A., Le, T.-N. N., Trofimovich, P., O’Brien, M. G., Teló, C., & Shimada, M. (2023, February). Votre accent étranger pourrait-il nuire à votre embauche? [Could your foreign accent affect your hiring?] La revue Gestion. https://www.revuegestion.ca/votre-accent-etranger-pourrait-il-nuire-a-votre-embauche
- Trofimovich, P., Bodea, A., Le, T.-N. N., O’Brien, M. G., Shimada, M., & Teló, C. (2023). What do students in human resource management know about accent bias? Language Awareness. Published online 15 February 2023. https://doi.org/10.1080/09658416.2023.2179630
- Teló, C., O’Brien, M. G., Trofimovich, P., Bodea, A., Le, T.-N. N., & Shimada, M. (2023, January). How HR professionals respond to second language accents. Talent Canada. https://www.talentcanada.ca/how-hr-professionals-respond-to-second-language-accents
- Le, T.-N. N., Bodea, A., Shimada, M., O’Brien, M. G., & Trofimovich, P. (2022, June). Are HR students and faculty aware of accent bias? A Calgary–Montreal comparison. Paper to be presented at the Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching (PSLLT) Conference, St. Catharines, Ontario.
- Le, T.-N. N., & Trofimovich, P. (2022, June). Exploring sociopolitical dimensions of heritage language pronunciation: The case of Vietnamese speakers in Montreal. Paper to be presented at the Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching (PSLLT) Conference, St. Catharines, Ontario.
- Le, T.-N. N. (2022, April). Heritage language maintenance through political shift: Vietnamese Montrealers’ perceived role of language in their cultural identity and heritage social networks. Paper presented at the 10th Meeting on Language Teaching (MeLT 2022). Université du Québec à Montréal, Montréal, Canada
GRANTS, awards and scholarships
Awards and Scholarships
- Concordia Faculty of Arts and Science PhD Fellowship