Anamaria received her Bachelor of Arts from McGill University in English literature in 2018. She then completed her Master of Arts at Concordia University in Applied Linguistics. Her Master’s thesis, supervised by Dr. Pavel Trofimovich, focused on the exploration of the dimensions of flow (i.e., a state of complete concentration and enjoyment) in the context of second language learning, by looking at the perspectives of second language learners. Anamaria will begin her PhD studies in Applied Linguistics in September 2022 at Concordia University. In her free time, she enjoys reading and going on long walks with her dog.
- Exploration of the dimensions of flow in a second language learning context
- Relationship between listener responses and L2 speakers’ quality of speech
- Awareness of accent bias in HR students, faculty, and professionals
- Bodea, A., & Trofimovich, P. (in press). “Transported into like another space”: Second language learners’ perspectives of their experience of flow. The Language Learning Journal. [article pdf]
- Trofimovich, P., Lindberg, R., Bodea, A., Le, T.-N. N., Zheng, C., & McDonough, K. (2023). I don’t think you like me: Examining metaperceptions of interpersonal liking in second language academic interaction. Languages, 8, Article 200. https://doi.org/10.3390/languages8030200 [article pdf]
- Bodea, A., Le, T.-N. N., Trofimovich, P., O’Brien, M. G., Teló, C., & Shimada, M. (2023, February). Votre accent étranger pourrait-il nuire à votre embauche? [Could your foreign accent affect your hiring?] La revue Gestion. https://www.revuegestion.ca/votre-accent-etranger-pourrait-il-nuire-a-votre-embauche
- Trofimovich, P., Bodea, A., Le, T.-N. N., O’Brien, M. G., Shimada, M., & Teló, C. (2023). What do students in human resource management know about accent bias? Language Awareness. Published online 15 February 2023. https://doi.org/10.1080/09658416.2023.2179630
- Teló, C., O’Brien, M. G., Trofimovich, P., Bodea, A., Le, T.-N. N., & Shimada, M. (2023, January). How HR professionals respond to second language accents. Talent Canada. https://www.talentcanada.ca/how-hr-professionals-respond-to-second-language-accents
- Le, T.-N. N., Bodea, A., Shimada, M., O’Brien, M. G., & Trofimovich, P. (2022, June). Are HR students and faculty aware of accent bias? A Calgary–Montreal comparison. Paper to be presented at the Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching (PSLLT) Conference, St. Catharines, Ontario.
- Bodea, A. (2022, April). Exploring the scope of flow in a second language learning context: Redefining the dimensions based on student perspectives. Poster presented at the 10th Meeting on Language Teaching (MeLT 2022) conference. Université du Québec à Montréal. (virtual)
GRANTS, awards and scholarships
Awards and Scholarships
- Concordia Faculty of Arts and Science PhD Fellowship
- Vanier College Ruby Knafo Memorial Fund
- Vanier College Gloria Di Muro Creativity Award